Interested in a subtle way to wear an indication of your Democratic support or affiliation? This unique, mid century, whimsical long eared donkey figural pin could be the way. I found this spunky donkey, with an attitude, while vintage shopping at a Historical Society fundraiser at the local fair grounds along the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado.
There are two marker’s marks on its back: first “Crislu 1964 ©” in block letters behind the mane, and “Tortolani ©” on the back of the left ear written in script. This is an older Tortolani pieces considered to be highly prized. That’s partially based on the quality of the pieces and award winning designs.
Tortolani Jewelry was founded by Italian born Francisco Tortolani after World War II and from 1950 to 1976, created an award-winning line of costume jewelry. They designed gifts for various movie stars of that era and were known for their three-dimensional styles and detail. The company ceased operations in l976. The “Tortolani Crislu” mark indicates this was one of the designs created by the founder. This is one of those pieces.
In fact, according to Marcia Brown, author of the book, Signed Beauties of Costume Jewelry the antique finish that “blackens the back is an important clue” that it is an authentic Tortolani.
Pieces were hand-cast in pewter and polished by hand. In addition, this donkey has a golden overlay which has been worn down in places over the years. It also has a warm glow of a patina, adding to its interesting vintage character. Overall it’s in good vintage condition for its 50+ years of existence, meaning average wear for its age. In this case that wear is mostly around the edges, including its nose (see pictures) as well as a few spots here and there. However, in my opinion, that adds to its charms.
This adorable, whimsical donkey measures 1.5” wide, 2” tall, and with a .5” depth. It has a substantial feel to it. From Election Day to July 4th this donkey symbol of the Republican Party is perfect for those wanting to proclaim their affiliation. It’s also a cute figural to wear anytime. The pictures offer greater perspective on the vintage condition and mid century charm of this long eared whimsical Tortolani donkey pin
If you need something quickly or shipped internationally, contact me.
*** I SHIP TO MANY COUNTRIES *** TYPICALLY I CAN EXPEDITE SHIPPING
1-2 business days
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 21 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
1. Collection of Personal Information – To fulfill your order, there is information that is needed, and that you authorized Etsy to provide to my shop. This includes information such as your name, email address, shipping address, payment amount, and product selection. You might also provide information related to the sending of a gift, or if you contact me directly with questions or a special request.
2. Why Information Is Needed and How Its Used – The legal basis for the information collected, used, and shared includes:
a. As needed to provide services of my shop to fulfill your order, settle disputes, provide customer support, or improve shop services.
b. As needed to comply with a legal obligation, court order, or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law.
c. If you sign up for my mailing list or other product alert information, which you can revoke at any time.
3. Sharing and Disclosure of Information – Twinkling Star Vintage abides by Etsy shop rules and regulations and may share information with Etsy as necessary to comply with shop obligations under the Etsy Seller Policy and Etsy Terms of Service. Other sharing may include:
a. Use of third party services such as delivery companies, only to the extent necessary to perform such service or resolve claims or track delivery.
b. Business transfers for selling or merging my shop with another business only to the extent permitted by law.
c. Compliance with law to collect, use, retain, and share your information if that is reasonably necessary, in good faith believed to be needed to respond to legal processes or government requests, or agreement enforcement.
4. Length of Time – Personal information is not stored beyond the period of time necessary to meet this shop’s business purposes to comply with legal or tax obligations, or your request for notifications. Typically that is 5 years.
5. Transfer of Personal Information Outside the EU – Etsy provides me, as an Etsy Shop Owner, with the information needed to process your order. I do not use any other service to transfer, receive, or store your personal information.
6. Your Rights – Depending on where you reside, you have certain rights in relation to your personal information, which may include rights to restrict use or delete your information. Should you have questions or concerns about how my shop handles your personal data, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail at Nan Russell, PO Box 70, Hygiene, CO 80533 USA
Some pieces I clean, others I don’t. However, the majority of items are presented as found. There are a variety of collectors and collectible pieces, and an equal number of opinions about whether a particular vintage item should or shouldn’t be cleaned or repaired. I err on the side of being conservative here, wanting you to decide how to treat your item. There’s plenty of information available online that will help you determine the best way to clean, preserve, or treat any vintage item.
All vintage jewelry items arrive in a gift box.