At the back of an overstuffed second hand store in southwestern Colorado, I spied a dusty small box under a pile of unrelated stuff. As I unearthed it, I discovered this “dime store” ornament pin in its original box from the l960s.
“Five and Dimes,” like Woolworth’s, were in many small town when I was growing up, and I quickly recognized this delightful, unused brooch, as the same type of Christmas jewelry I’d see when shopping with my mom as a kid. The pins were often made of pot metal, coated and sparkly on top to look like the expensive stuff. They were housed in festive boxes with plastic tops so you could easily see them. This is one of those Christmas pins from that l960s era.
The pin looks like it’s never been out of the box (except for this photo shoot), and both are in very good to excellent vintage condition for their 50+ years of existence. That doesn’t mean “perfect” since its been sitting around some dark place for years, but it’s close to how it would have looked five decades ago at that dime store. The box is a decorated cardboard with a slip on plastic top and has no marks or tears.
The ornament brooch is large, measuring 2.25 in length and 1.25 in width. It is also quite substantial in feel, i.e. on the heavier side. It would be perfect on a coat, blazer, or jacket.
The pin is made of a gold tone coating over a base metal. The glossy enamel and the styling of the faux large rhinestones make it look festive and vintage all at the same time. The pin and clasp are strong and secure; the colors bright.
This lovely dime store Christmas pin adds charm to any vintage lover or Christmas lover’s collection. The pictures offer greater perspective on the vintage condition and festive styling of this mid century holiday brooch.
If you need something quickly or shipped internationally, contact me.
*** I SHIP TO MANY COUNTRIES *** TYPICALLY I CAN EXPEDITE SHIPPING
1-2 business days
Just contact me within: 21 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
1. Collection of Personal Information – To fulfill your order, there is information that is needed, and that you authorized Etsy to provide to my shop. This includes information such as your name, email address, shipping address, payment amount, and product selection. You might also provide information related to the sending of a gift, or if you contact me directly with questions or a special request.
2. Why Information Is Needed and How Its Used – The legal basis for the information collected, used, and shared includes:
a. As needed to provide services of my shop to fulfill your order, settle disputes, provide customer support, or improve shop services.
b. As needed to comply with a legal obligation, court order, or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law.
c. If you sign up for my mailing list or other product alert information, which you can revoke at any time.
3. Sharing and Disclosure of Information – Twinkling Star Vintage abides by Etsy shop rules and regulations and may share information with Etsy as necessary to comply with shop obligations under the Etsy Seller Policy and Etsy Terms of Service. Other sharing may include:
a. Use of third party services such as delivery companies, only to the extent necessary to perform such service or resolve claims or track delivery.
b. Business transfers for selling or merging my shop with another business only to the extent permitted by law.
c. Compliance with law to collect, use, retain, and share your information if that is reasonably necessary, in good faith believed to be needed to respond to legal processes or government requests, or agreement enforcement.
4. Length of Time – Personal information is not stored beyond the period of time necessary to meet this shop’s business purposes to comply with legal or tax obligations, or your request for notifications. Typically that is 5 years.
5. Transfer of Personal Information Outside the EU – Etsy provides me, as an Etsy Shop Owner, with the information needed to process your order. I do not use any other service to transfer, receive, or store your personal information.
6. Your Rights – Depending on where you reside, you have certain rights in relation to your personal information, which may include rights to restrict use or delete your information. Should you have questions or concerns about how my shop handles your personal data, please contact me at email@example.com or via mail at Nan Russell, PO Box 70, Hygiene, CO 80533 USA
Some pieces I clean, others I don’t. However, the majority of items are presented as found. There are a variety of collectors and collectible pieces, and an equal number of opinions about whether a particular vintage item should or shouldn’t be cleaned or repaired. I err on the side of being conservative here, wanting you to decide how to treat your item. There’s plenty of information available online that will help you determine the best way to clean, preserve, or treat any vintage item.
All vintage jewelry items arrive in a gift box.